Saturday, March 10, 2012

Machinedrum

Fuck you if you don't understand how good he is. Composition, creativity, production, DJing, fashion, and whatever else. A word I very rarely use to describe musicians is "impressive". Guys like Travis Stewart are impressive. There's more there than your average (or not-so-average) producer, and I guess what it comes down to is he just seems too good. There's no filler, there's no bullshit. One of the things that makes him so interesting is the fact that the music he makes and the music he spins are two completely different stories. This cat just released two very good EPs in two months, and two hour long mixes in two weeks. My background is in jungle, a dead genre, and I would be in denial if I said I didn't have an extra love for him simply because he loves to spin it. A lot of these post-shitstep DJs are very ambitious with their track selections, and although James Blake is getting very good at it, I have yet to hear anybody mix tunes of this nature as tightly as Machinedrum. Lately I've come to realize that I like him so much because his percussion and bass production is simply outstanding, and it's clearly because jungle still has such an influence on what I'm attracted to. That was before I listened to this set of 160bpm badness for Mixmag. If you actually know how to spin, and appreciate others who can as well, then do yourself a favour and just put this on.

Listen/download another speedy hour long set from the Solid Steel Radio Show here !
And to further expose my so obvious boner for this dude, check out my set, PotsnPans, featuring two tunes from the (second) newest EP !

No comments:

Post a Comment